Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Zoning for VAV application

In EnergyPlus, a single VAV terminal unit serves a single thermal zone (ZONE
object and associated surfaces, etc.).  But you can combine multiple rooms into
a single thermal zone, and the rooms do not necessarily need to be contiguous.
In the case of your model, you could simply change the zone names for the
surfaces and internal gains to combine several rooms into a single thermal
zone.

Note, however, that solar gains, internal gains, and radiant interchange will
be distributed among all surfaces associated with the same thermal zone, even
if they may not actually "see" each other geometrically.  So, this should only
be done for rooms with similar characteristics.

Mike

On 16 Apr 2007 at 23:16, aboyemeplus wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Is there a way to simulate a single VAV box serving several rooms not
> necessarily adjacent to each other?
> I am working with a building model which consists of 34 rooms. Since
> the goal of the simulation is to try different zoning configurations
> (10 to 12) zones for the 34 rooms, I modeled each room as a single
> zone, hoping that I will be able to combine them later into
> several "control" zones. The input description for [COMPACT
> HVAC:ZONE:VAV]object implies that each VAV box is associated with a
> single zone. Is an EPlus "Zone" limited to a single thermal control
> volume and a single controller, or can it consist of several control
> volumes with a controller in one of the volumes?
>

> Merid

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx