Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] ground heat transfer modeling for unconditioned spaces

Presently, the recommended approach would be #1, an iterative approach.  I
think that you will find it to converge rather quickly.

If you have many cases like this, you may want to compare option 2 with option
1 for a couple of climates (warmer and colder) and see how much difference
there is.

I will add a more integrated approach for such applications to the overall
enhancement wish list.

Mike

On 25 Apr 2007 at 10:17, Spencer, Justin wrote:

> I'm looking for a good way to model ground heat transfer from
> unconditioned spaces.  The basement and slab programs require an input
> temperature for the space.  This isn't too hard to provide when you have
> a conditioned space - you should be able to get close.  Since the ground
> transfer is driven by a small temperature difference between the space
> and the ground temperature, getting this temperature wrong will have a
> big impact on the resulting ground temperatures and energy balance in
> the space.
>

> In particular, a ventilated crawlspace with some amount of duct leakage
> into the space creates a real modeling conundrum, since the ground
> transfer is one small part of the temperature in the space.  I can think
> of 2 possible solutions:
>
> 1.	Use an iterative approach.  Run the basement model with a guess
> at the temperatures in the space, then run the resulting ground
> temperatures in the full simulation, make a new guess at the
> temperatures in the space, run the basement model, until convergence is
> reached.  (iterative approach)
> 2.	Abandon the basement model.  Ignore ground transfer through the
> floor.  Model the walls with regular 1-D walls, with wall properties
> that approximate the soil and wall performance.  (Perimeter conduction
> approach)
>
> In the long run, if the basement model ran with the actual building,
> instead of needing space temperatures as an input, then the basement
> model could be run once, instead of requiring exhaustive iteration.
>

> What's the best workaround to use in the short term?
>

> Justin Spencer

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx