Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Simulation of 12th century chapel in Ireland

 The convergence issue for 1.5m thick masonry is a real issue.  That is
stretching the limits of what the CTF methodology can do.  You might also try
the conduction finite-difference model.  I do not know what other issues there
may be.

I would be reluctant to use energy simulation alone to assess the likelihood of
condensation on the walls.  I would seek other tools or experience to confirm
the results.

Since this is a general modeling question, you may with to post it on bldg-sim
also.  For information on bldg-sim, see:
http://www.gard.com/ml/bldg-sim.htm

Mike

On 25 Apr 2007 at 19:58, ooodard wrote:

> Does anyone have any comments to make concerning likely problems in
> simulating a single or two room 12th century romaneque chapel.  The
> walls are up to 1.5m thick. Heavy stone masonry everywhere.  I have
> read comments about making sure the warm-up period is long enough to
> get convergence..
>
> We can get reasonable modelling of ventilation because we can do a
> pressure test to measure air leakage paths.  Our main interest is in
> surface condensation and on using strategically controlled mechanical
> ventilation and may be limited heating.  There are 12th century
> paintings on the walls of said chapel which are decaying.
>
> (Ref. "A climate control system for Hollybourne Cottage, Jekyll Island
> Historic District, Georgia, S. Maekawa & F. Toledo,  at
> http://www.getty.edu/conservation/publications/pdf_publications/plea.pdf
> )
>
> This is going to be an interesting project.  Maybe we would be wasting
> our time trying to model such a building.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Odard

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the
> Documentation link and press the "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx