Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Window reveals help

Troy,

Yes, this is confusing.

Surfaces and SubSurfaces in EnergyPlus have no thickness in and of
themselves.  It is only when the vertex coordinates for a Window
SubSurface place it in a different plane from its host Wall Surface,
presumably some distance from the "inside" face of the Wall Surface
plane, that an outside reveal is detected by EnergyPlus.

Inside reveal depths and absorptances (for sill and other edges) are
input using the WindowFrameAndDivider input object.

Regarding the impact of these reveals on solar gains, read the details
in the Input/Output Reference under WindowFrameAndDivider/Reveal Surface
Fields, in particular the following:  "The net effect of beam solar
reflected from outside reveal surfaces is to increase the heat gain to
the zone, whereas the effect of beam solar reflected from inside reveal
surfaces is to decrease the heat gain to the zone since part of this
reflected solar is transmitted back out the window."

Hope this helps.

Rob Hitchcock
========