Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] warning about "COOLING TOWER:VARIABLE SPEED"

Try using the single-speed or two-speed cooling tower models unless you
specifically want to use a variable-speed cooling tower. You should also
read the Engineering Reference to understand the model and it's
limitations if you intend to perform simulations with the variable-speed
cooling tower.

The warnings identify when the empirical model inputs are outside the
range used to develop the model coefficients. The variable speed tower
models are more useful when actual performance data is available and
model coefficients can be developed for specific cooling towers.

For instance, the first warning shows a tower range temperature (water
inlet minus water outlet temperature) of 0.10416 C. This is a very small
load and these specific model coefficients were not developed with a
data set with such small loads. This warning can be disregarded in most
cases if the simulation results look reasonable (i.e. tower load versus
tower water temperature difference). You can eliminate this warning by
changing the minimum range temperature input from 1.1111C to 0.01C in
the Cooling Tower:Variable Speed:YorkCalc Model Coefficients object. But
be warned that the model will then be extrapolating the original model
range for this model input.

The third warning shows that the liquid to gas ratio (water to air flow
ratio) is also out of range at 11.17 with an allowed maximum of 8. This
warning can usually be disregarded if the liquid to gas ratio is not
much higher than 8. This warning can also be eliminated by increasing
(e.g. from 8 to 12) the maximum liquid to gas ratio in the Cooling
Tower:Variable Speed:YorkCalc Model Coefficients object. But using
values greater than 8 is not recommended. And similar to other messages,
be warned that the model will then be extrapolating the original model
range for this input.

The second warning states that the air flow rate ratio calculation
failed at Twb=13.07, Trange=0.41, Tapproach=16.93, and water flow rate
ratio = 3.34. This error is harder to eliminate since it is based on the
original empirical model inputs. Increasing the free convection capacity
can reduce the number of warnings here since the error is most likely
due to low load conditions. Change the fraction of tower capacity in
free convection regime from 0.125 to 0.2 (maximum) in the Cooling
Tower:Variable Speed object. The fraction of tower capacity in the free
convection regime is usually around 0.1 (10%).

--
Richard A. Raustad
Senior Research Engineer

UCF - From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years