Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] HVAC modelling - Key Temperatures

First, I will offer a general overview of how SIZING inputs relate to the
simulation.

The temperatures in the ZONE SIZING, SYSTEM SIZING, and PLANT SIZING objects
are used only to compute flow rates and capacities to replace "autosize" in the
various component fields.  Every replacement of "autosize" will be reported in
the eio output file in the Component Sizing section.  In the simplest terms,
ZONE SIZING determines the design airflow rate to each zone.  SYSTEM SIZING
determines coil capacities (using the sum of the zone airflow rates served by
that system).  PLANT SIZING determines coil design water flow rates and supply
equipment capacities.  The sizing algorithms do not recognize any flow rate or
capacity values that may be entered in specific component objects.  And the
sizing algorithms have no knowledge of values in setpoint managers or other
controls.

After the sizing is completed, and all occurences of "autosize" have been
replace with a computed size, the simulation runs.  The simulatlion has no
knowledge of the data in the SIZING objects.  It uses the setpoint managers and
other control inputs to run the simulation.

1.  You are correct that there are no warnings if temperatures are
inconsistent.  The user must be careful to make sure the various SIZING
temperature are appropriate for the sizing calculations and that the actual
setpoint schedules and other control inputs are consistent with the
temperatures in the SIZING objects.

2.  If there is only one boiler, then the boiler output will be controlled to
meet the specified supply temperature.

3.  During the simulation, the coil models and controllers will determine the
flow rate through the coil which is required to meet the load.  I do not think
that these algorithms would result in a fixed outlet temperature from the
coils.  My guess is that this system does not have adequate capacity and the
coils are running at full flow and the boiler is at full load, so the design
delta-T will occur as a result.

4.  Yes, unless the loop volume has been specified to be large and the loop
supply temperature is varying.

5.  The components created by COMPACT HVAC ignore thermal losses from pipes..
If you want to modelt the thermal losses, you may replace the simple PIPE
objects with PIPE:INTERIOR or PIPE:EXTERIOR.

6.  The design temperatures in the SIZING objects are relevant only for the
autosizing calculations.  Design temperatures in component objects (such as a
chiller) may also be used in the simulation performance calculations.

7.  Is the fan running?  The fan operation in the fan coil model is continuos
whenever the availability schedule is >zero.

8.  If the outside air flow rate is zero, then the mixed air condition entering
the coil will match the return air temperature which will be the zone setpoint
temperature.  If the outside air flow rate is greater than zero, then one would
expect the coil entering condition to be warmer than the zone setpoint.

Mike

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx