Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] modelling misters

I've used ECOTECT to create geometry for EnergyPlus simulations. It doesn't
do a whole lot more than that; there are some options to create schedules,
infiltration, and internal gains objects within ECOTECT, but frankly I've
found it easier just to do these things within EnergyPlus.

That being said, it does a reasonably good job of creating geometry, as long
as the geometry isn't excessively complicated -- when it is, ECOTECT
sometimes has a hard time calculating adjacency properly, which results in
the OutsideFaceEnvironment field of the SURFACE:HeatTransfer objects
sometimes being specified incorrectly. In one instance, I created what was,
in retrospect, excessively complicated geometry, and using the most
sensitive settings for ECOTECT's inter-zonal adjacency calculations, I ended
up with about 8% of the surfaces' OutsideFaceEnvironment field being
specified incorrectly. In my opinion, if one were to simplify the geometry
to the extent that simulation accuracy wouldn't be affected, this number
would be pretty close to 100%. Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience
at this point to state definitively if that's the case or not; what I can
tell you is that after using the two systems together for a while, you
definitely begin to get a sense of what geometric features ECOTECT will deal
with correctly and which ones might be troublesome.

The biggest annoyance when using ECOTECT to create EnergyPlus geometry is
the surface naming conventions. To my knowledge, there is no way to directly
name surfaces in ECOTECT; they are all automatically assigned object numbers
by the software. This wouldn't even be too bad, but these object numbers
aren't static. That is, if you go in and modify your geometry in ECOTECT and
re-export it to ECOTECT, it's possible that an unmodified surface could have
a new object name. If one is importing and exporting entire geometries en
masse, this isn't really a problem, but it can be really annoying if you
have a big model and you just want to export chunks of it.

Anyways, if you learn to cope with the idiosyncrasies, ECOTECT is a usable
tool for creating geometry for EnergyPlus. However, that's about all it does
-- no HVAC.

Hope that helps,

Josh

On Jan 22, 2008 10:05 AM, Griffith, Brent <brent_griffith@xxxxxxxx > wrote:

>   If you know a water flow rate and schedule for the misters, then it
> should work to use the Water Use Equipment input object with a high
> latent fraction. I suggest using a Water Mains Temperatures object for
> your location to model the mister's inlet water temperatures.
>
> Hopefully someone else out there knows more about Ecotect ...

Josh Kjenner, EIT, LEED AP
Manasc Isaac Architects Ltd.
10225 100 Avenue :: Edmonton, AB T5J 0A1
780.429.3977