Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Radiant Ceiling Heating??

Hi Josh,

  Thank you for the reply and your information. Though I would like to ask you why did you make two surface heat transfer objects and not only one? Why not making this radiant panel only as a construction with internal source? You made another surface that you put on top of the construction with internal source. Was that necessary? Thank you again for the valuable reply and hope to hearing from you soon.

  Best ragards

  Tasos Ioannou

Josh K <jeemang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          Hi Tasos;

I had to model something similar to this, and I ended up creating a couple
of Surface:HeatTransfer objects, with each one specified as the surface in
the other's "OutsideFaceEnvironment object" field. I created one surface to
represent the "bottom" of the panel and one to represent the "top," with
each surface's normal facing "into" the panel. For the "bottom" surface I
used a CONSTRUCTION WITH INTERNAL SOURCE and for the top surface just a
regular CONSTRUCTION with the same elements as the bottom surface but in
opposite order (just like you would do with adjacent wall surfaces). One
last thing: the panels I'm modeling have insulation on the "top" side (ie,
the side opposite the room they're heating), and before I knew this I tried
to model the panels without an insulation layer on top. I got some errors
and weird results that only stopped when I added at least one non-metal
MATERIAL:REGULAR to either of the CONSTRUCTION objects.

I seemed to get pretty good results with this approach. If you have the
DisplayExtraWarnings option selected in the DIAGNOSTICS object you'll get
some "severe error" warnings about having interzone surfaces in the same
zone, but they don't seem to affect the running of the simulation.

Josh

--
Josh Kjenner, EIT, LEED AP
Manasc Isaac Architects Ltd.