[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: HVAC modelling - Key definitions

Hi Mike,

I am trying to find a method for modelling chilled water as well. I
was looking into the ice storage item though I am not sure exactly how
this will perform, i.e. resetting the melting point.

Mainly I am worried that:
1. The pumping energy associated with putting the CHW into storage
won't be captured.
2. And more importantly, the discharge rates will be limited by the
'melt' energy and not purely a volumetric flow of CHW at (or close to)
the set point temperature of CHW supply.

Have you been able to verify any models that you have completed using
ice storage with a reset melting point?

Cheers, Alex.

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael J. Witte"
<mjwitte@...> wrote:

> Sorry I was reading too quickly about the temperatures.
>
> The hot water storage and solar collectors can be modeled.  See
example files
> SolarCollectorFlatPlateWater.idf and WaterHeaterDHWPlantLoop.idf.
These will
> get you started.
>
> For the chilled water loop, the only type of cold storage which is
available is
> ice storage.  One approach would be to use THERMAL
STORAGE:ICE:DETAILED with a
> melting point of 7C and revised performance curves.  Ice storage
example files
> include 5ZoneDetailedIceStorage.idf,
IceStorage-Series-ChillerDownstream.idf,