RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] reflective metal medallions on the facade

Hi Marzia,

I think you can model the medallions as shading surfaces and then add reflectance properties using the Shading Surface Reflectance object (see the documentation).  This object allows for specular (beam-to-beam) reflectance which is what I think you are looking for.  It looks like it should work with the Daylighting:Detailed calculation, but I'm not 100% sure.  You'll have to make sure you use the solar distribution options "withReflections".  One other thing to keep in mind is that you are not going to have reflected glare all the time.  My experience is that there are only certain times of day and year where the beam reflection will line up just right to bounce into your zone.  And depending how large the window aperture is and what time step you are using, you might miss the reflection altogether because it is occurring between time steps.  You might want to consider using a program outside of EnergyPlus that will do full ray tracing and daylighting analysis to study just the times of day/year where there is a glare problem.

Good luck,

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of marziasedino
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 4:49 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] reflective metal medallions on the facade

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the glare index for a building which has got
zig-zag curtain walls on all sides with reflective metal medallions.
The medallions are some sort of mirros on the outside of the facades
and should reflect solar rays inside the building. So I am expecting
big glare index inside.
my question is how to model reflective surface in E+.

I tried to assign them as opaque surfaces but I couldn't really change
their reflectivity.
So i tried to simulate them as single windows with high reflectivity
(0.9) and no trasmittance but still the glare index seems to low...

for the solar distribution I used both Fullexterior and
Fullexteriorwithreflections.

Thanks a lot

Marzia