From: jim_mcnally <jim_mcnally@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Heat Recovery Option for Compact HVAC: Unitary apprears to not work
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, September 4, 2008, 7:01 PM

Hi,
I have been trying to simulate a unitary HVAC device with a heat
recovery module. I am using the Compact:Unitary equipment simulation.
The heat recovery option does not materially change the energy use
results.
A one zone building with one rooftop unit is my quick running test
model. The compact unitary part is given below.

Am I missing something?
Regards,
Jim McNally

****** COMPACT UNITARY PART OF EP MODEL ******
!- =========== ALL OBJECTS IN CLASS: COMPACT HVAC:THERMOSTAT
===========

COMPACT HVAC:THERMOSTAT,
TSTAT-ADM_1FL, !- Thermostat Name
, !- Thermostat Heating Setpoint Schedule
22.2222228109101, !- Thermostat Constant Heating Setpoint
{C}
, !- Thermostat Cooling Setpoint Schedule
22.7777783811828; !- Thermostat Constant Cooling Setpoint
{C}

COMPACT HVAC:THERMOSTAT,
TSTAT-CENTER, !- Thermostat Name
ofc_HTG-Temp_ SCHED, !- Thermostat Heating Setpoint Schedule
, !- Thermostat Constant Heating Setpoint
{C}
ofc_CLG-Temp_ SCHED, !- Thermostat Cooling Setpoint Schedule
; !- Thermostat Constant Cooling Setpoint
{C}

COMPACT HVAC:THERMOSTAT,
TSTAT-RESIDENT, !- Thermostat Name
Resident_HTG- Temp_SCHED, !- Thermostat Heating Setpoint Schedule
, !- Thermostat Constant Heating Setpoint
{C}
RESIDENT_CLG- Temp_SCHED, !- Thermostat Cooling Setpoint Schedule
; !- Thermostat Constant Cooling Setpoint
{C}

!- =========== ALL OBJECTS IN CLASS: COMPACT HVAC:ZONE:UNITARY
===========

COMPACT HVAC:ZONE:UNITARY,
5F92EB, !- Zone Name
S-1, !- Air Handling System Name
TSTAT-ADM_1FL, !- Thermostat Name
9.44000119843765, !- Zone Supply Air Max Flow Rate {m3/s}
flow/zone, !- Zone Outside Air Flow Type
0, !- Zone Outside Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
, !- Zone Supply Plenum Name
; !- Zone Return Plenum Name

!- =========== ALL OBJECTS IN CLASS: COMPACT HVAC:SYSTEM: UNITARY
===========

COMPACT HVAC:SYSTEM: UNITARY,
S-1, !- Air Handling System Name
, !- System Availability Schedule
5F92EB, !- Control Zone Name or Thermostat
Location
9.44000119843765, !- Supply Fan Max Flow Rate {m3/s}
, !- Supply Fan Operating Mode
0.7, !- Supply Fan Total Efficiency
871.8113780762, !- Supply Fan Delta Pressure {Pa}
0.9, !- Supply Fan Motor Efficiency
1, !- Supply Fan Motor in Air Stream
Fraction
Single-speed DX, !- Cooling Coil Type
, !- Cooling Coil Availability Schedule
autosize, !- Cooling Coil Capacity {W}
autosize, !- Cooling Coil Rated SHR
3, !- Cooling Coil Rated COP
Gas, !- Heating Coil Type
, !- Heating Coil Availability Schedule
autosize, !- Heating Coil Capacity {W}
0.8, !- Gas Heating Coil Efficiency
, !- Gas Heating Coil Parasitic Electric
Load {W}
9.44000119843765, !- Maximum Outside Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
9.44000119843765, !- Minimum Outside Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
, !- Minimum Outside Air Schedule Name
None, !- Economizer Type
NO LOCKOUT, !- Economizer Lockout
, !- Economizer Upper Temperature Limit {C}
, !- Economizer Lower Temperature Limit {C}
, !- Economizer Upper Enthalpy Limit {J/kg}
, !- Supply Plenum Name
, !- Return Plenum Name
Blow Through, !- Supply Fan Placement
Cycle On Control Zone, !- Night Cycle Control
5F92EB, !- Night Cycle Control Zone Name
Sensible, !- Heat Recovery Type
0.7, !- Sensible Heat Recovery Effectiveness
0.65; !- Latent Heat Recovery Effectiveness