Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] sketchup: copy and paste

Wow, that is exactly what I want.

Here is my observation:

If I copy a zone (ie select the zone via outliner, and then copy and
paste), the new zone will have exactly the same zone name as the old
zone. Somehow this new zone is linked to the old zone, because if we
change the name, both zones will have the new name. If we save the
IDF, the IDF file will have only one zone.

For simple model, what I did is a simple work around, i.e. create an
empty zone, and then go to the old zone, copy all elements of the
zone, and then paste the elements into the empty zone.

But for complex building, this cannot be done. I tried to do airflow
network simulation for apartment building, where every unit apartment
is divided into two or more zones. What I did was to define the zones
in a single apartment unit, and group it, and then copy the group.
What I have is similar with the above observation, ie the copied zones
are linked to their new counterpart, and I cannot change the name. So
if I originally have an apartment unit with three zones, when I copied
it I will have two apartment units with total of six zones. But the
zone names are still three, where the second apartment unit has the
zones with exactly the same names as the previous unit. The exported
IDF file will have three zones, while in the SketchUp I can actually
see six zones.

Dru, can you actually copy the zones and get the zone names correct?

Thanks,

Ery