[EnergyPlus_Support] sketchup: how to save

What is the recommended way to save the file(s)?

The usual scenario is that we will have a SKP file from the architect,
and develop the IDF file based on that. We have the option of saving
the SKP file and/or the IDF file. Usually there will be no problem
when we first save this.

The problem starts when you try to open the file again to continue,
here are the options:
1. Open the IDF file: this does not make sense since it will not
include all the information from the architect
2. Open the original SKP file: the also does not make sense, because
you will loose your work developing the IDF file
3. Open the latest SKP and load the latest IDF

I usually do the last one, but after some point, the files got
corrupted, and the EPlus plugin does not work properly anymore.

Is there a way that we can avoid this?

Thanks,

Ery