[EnergyPlus_Support] about the heat recovery system

Dear all
     I want to confirm some information about the heat recovery system
which can deal with outside air.
     For VAV system, before outside air is cooled by chilled water I
want it can be cooled by the heat recovery unit, and then some energy
can be saved. I am not very sure that if the example file,
HeatRecoveryElectricChiller.idf, is the system which can simulate the
heat recovery unit for VAV system. Why not to use a HEAT EXCHANGER:AIR
TO AIR unit in this example file?  I think the outside air do the heat
exchange with the exhaust air in such unit first and then the  mixed
air is conditioned by the chilled water. So I am not very clear about
the system of the above example file. Could you tell me what's wrong
with me?
    For fan coil system, my idea is that it is just like wind AC
system, and the outside air is cooled by the energy recovery ventilator
(ERV). Is my idea right?
    Could you please help me? Thank you very much!
    Best regards!