RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] ASHRAE 90.1 Fenestration Values in Energy Plus for baseline Model

You will have a select a fenestration system that will give you close to the 90.1 requirements.  90.1 requirements are not real glazing systems and you will find that you can  select a glazing with either better SHGC or U-value to meet the 90.1 requirements.

Look at the WindowConstructs.idf dataset.  (c:\energyplusv2-2-0\datasets\).   It lists the equivalent U-value, SC, SHGC, TSOL, and TVIS for more than 200 glazing combinations.  This is also one of the outputs from EnergyPlus.  For example,  Dbl Clr 6mm/6mm Air has properties of U=3.123  SC= .80  SHGC=.699  TSOL=.604  TVIS=.781.

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Adil SMH
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:47 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] ASHRAE 90.1 Fenestration Values in Energy Plus for baseline Model

Dear EP Support,

i am a bit confused in entering ASHRAE 90.1 Fenestration Values, which are nothing but SHGC and U-Value, in the Energy plus Material:Window Glass or Material WindowGlass Alt fields. As they contains lot more fields please advice the right way!
Can SHGC be directly Converted into "IR transmittance at normal Incidence" ? or some fraction would go in "Solar Extinction Coefficient"?

it is important for us to make right entries as we will be calibrating the model on actual building.
I am also trying to get a library compiled in for quick ASHRAE 90.1 Simulation for complex buildings. if some one has already done this job then please let me the way to share it. I tried using the on-line file generator but some from some time it is not responding to requests.

Regards

SMH Adil
Energy Analyst
"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of
value."
Albert Einstein