RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: non-planar

Hi, Bernd

I am interested to know what is the  surfaces as part of a thermal activated concrete ceiling.   Were you trying to include the thermal expansion variation into the surface dimension entries?

Normally, ceiling is flat.  If one side is flat and the other surface changes, you can use the flat surface and leave the other side undefined.

I usually get this type of small errors due to importing design from another software. I would look at the adjacent surfaces, whether I can compensate manually.  For example, if the error vertex is on a wall, and the wall edges are parallel/vertical, you can add the error to the surface and make it flat.  The wall will now be  a parallelogram and still remains flat.

However, adjusting the error in this way is a little tricky, because the error is caused by the conversion rounding off error.  If you re-import the design again, the error may be moved to some where else.

If you are converting the dimensions from inch to meter, for example, try keeping the inches to the nearest fraction before conversion, or enter the same decimal number for the ceiling height and a flat ground floor.

For roof and shades, etc., the two triangle method is a quicker fix on the IDF file, by splitting surface into two, using a text editor.  If you group the  x,y,z,  on the same line for each vertex, the change can be very easy carried out and verified.

Duplicate the object,  delete the 3rd vertex from the original object, change the name of the new object, and delete the first vertex. To change the vertex number from 4 to 3 can be done with find and replace for the whole group of objects.

However, your errors are about one millimeter each, and can therefore be ignored.

I am a member of the group, and not an EPus  support person.

Dr. Li