RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Sketchup model questions

Hi Kristin,

Before I dive in here, I just want to remind everybody we now have a support list for the OpenStudio plugin.  That's the best place to start for these kinds of questions in the future.

You must subscribe to the list before you can post.

Thanks.

*Is there an easy way to 'erase' walls between zones?

Yes.  There are toolbar buttons called "Hide Rest of Model" and "Show Outliner Window".  If you use those two in concert, you can easily get to various surfaces that are buried in the interior of the building.  Double-click on zones in the Outliner to start editing them.  Then simply select the surface you want to erase and hit delete.

*When using the push/pull to create building height, I've used floor-to-floor height versus floor-to-ceiling. Will this create problems for the model for stratification? Is there a way to indicate a dropped ceiling?

EnergyPlus doesn't model stratification by default so your ceiling height won't affect it.  But if you want to model a dropped ceiling, you have to model it as it's own plenum zone.

*The sketchup models seem to crash after saving and closing, so that they cannot be reopened. Is this typical or is it a problem with how I am creating the model?

What kind of crash are you talking about?  BugSplats after quitting SketchUp are common and harmless.  OpenStudio Error Alerts are a bigger problem.  If you are getting these, please post on the support list.  The usual cause is a bug with trying to reassociate the SKP file and the IDF file.  In that case, try just opening and saving the IDF file using the Plugins/OpenStudio menu commands.  Throw out the original SKP file, and always start with a blank SKP when opening your IDF.

I'm creating a model in sketchup using the energy+ plugin, and since I'm learning as I go, have a few queries. If anyone is able to help me, I would appreciate it.

*Is there an easy way to 'erase' walls between zones? I'm using a perimeter/core zoning model, but there is no actual physical barrier between zones. I want to ensure that the air movement between zones is modelled.

*When using the push/pull to create building height, I've used floor-to-floor height versus floor-to-ceiling. Will this create problems for the model for stratification? Is there a way to indicate a dropped ceiling?

*The sketchup models seem to crash after saving and closing, so that they cannot be reopened. Is this typical or is it a problem with how I am creating the model?

Kind regards
K Gustafson