Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Hybrid Ventilation Control

You say the hybrid status is between 1 and 2. This sounds like an average value over a fixed time period. Change your report variables to "detailed" and run the simulation again. That way you can see what happens each simulation time step.

  Output:Variable,
    *,                       !- Key Value
    Hybrid Ventilation Control Mode,  !- Variable Name
    Detailed;                !- Reporting Frequency

Sherif Ezzeldin wrote:
Lixing,

Thanks for your concern

The main concern is designing an acceptable indoor environment is to maintain both Thermal Comfort and Indoor Air Quality requirements.

Concerning Indoor Air Quality requirements, a minimum ventilation rate (10l/s/person=1.29ACH) is required to maintain acceptable level of CO2 in an office space. A successful hybrid design should provide that ventilation rate by natural ventilation and switch to mechanical ventilation just when the minimum value couldn't be met.

At the same time, the zone operative temperature should lie within the upper & lower thermal comfort boundaries. A successful hybrid design should maintain natural ventilation as long as the  zone operative temperature is within the comfort boundaries, once it reaches the upper comfort boundary temperature (cooling setpoint temperature CSP), the system should switch to mechanical cooling
In EnergyPlus, if I set the control mode to 1 (temperature) and the min. and max. outdoor temp. to 15C and 35C as in the example file, when the outdoor temp. reaches 32C and the indoor temp is 28C and the CSP is 26C , in that case the mechanical system should operate and the hybrid status should be equal to 2 but the hybrid status value is between 1 and 2. My explanation could be that since the outside lies between 15C and 35C, then hybrid control allows natural ventilation, and since the outdoor temp is higher than the indoor temp, then natural ventilation is not allowed.

Alternatively, if I set the control mode to 4 (Ventilation rate), the system just compare the predicted ventilation rate with the minimum value regardless to the cooling setpoint, therefore, during summer, the indoor temperature exceeds the upper comfort boundary temperature but with acceptable ventilation rate.

Could you please help me may be there is something I miss-understood?

Kind regards,
Sherif