RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] shading objects and runtime

That will slow things down.  Depending on how much overlap there can be in the shadows cast by different surfaces, it can be a real problem.  I’d suggest simplifying the geometry by aggregating into larger surfaces and giving them some transparency.

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alan Jackson
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2009 1:38 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] shading objects and runtime

How much impact do adiabatic shading objects have on the run time of a simulation. I am looking at potentially having in upwards of 1,000 shading devices for a model that has simple geometry but extremely detailed external shading. Any views on this before I get too far along here?

Thanks in advance

-
aj