From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 4:35 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Modifying a weather file to reflect "real" weather

Assuming you have global horizontal radiation data from a site within,
say, 10 km of your test location, you need to separate the direct and
diffuse components, which can be done with one of many possible methods,
including Maxwell's. Then you have to calculate the sky diffuse and
reflected diffuse components for your walls and other tilted surfaces.
These two steps currently rely on empirical models, which have two known
problems: (i) they introduce considerable random hourly errors and
sometimes significant bias errors, and (ii) you never know where model A
will perform better than model B, precisely because of their empirical
nature.

I recently published on this issue in Solar Energy, using high-class
measured data from Golden (NREL) to test these various combinations.
There were many surprises in the results, but for Michigan, North
Carolina or elsewhere, other combinations of models might have to be
recommended, since the cloud, aerosol and water vapor regimes are different.

In many instances, particularly for prevailing clear-sky conditions, my
tests also showed that it is more accurate to use meteorological data to
calculate the direct and diffuse components directly than to separate
them from measured global radiation.

Chris

--
Chris A. Gueymard, PhD