RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Modifying a weather file to reflect "real" weather

Dear Chris (and others),

I am bogging down a bit because it sounds as though (to paraphrase) "You can't give E+ a data set that simply and reasonably represents the solar impact that actually occurred for a specific time period."

Since sky cover is reported in many weather data sets, what if I just gave the actual % sky cover to E+ in a custom data set?  As mentioned in my first post, my (perhaps simplistic) assumption is that the sun does the same thing every day, but the clouds vary a lot.  How can we represent that factor simply to E+?  If I did that, is there some other factor that renders it meaningless?

Since the sun has a big impact on many building designs, I want to reflect it's impact on HVAC and overall energy use.  I'm trying to get a "reasonable and defensible" approach, not "precise to several decimal places".

Thanks again!

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW