RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Purchased Air Model

To Arslan:  You can try

HVACTemplate-5ZonePurchAir.idf

This is for a 5 zone building.  Winter and Summer seasonal control.

You can change the zone names in the equipment section to match those used in your IDF and copy the four sets of objects to your IDF.

Delete all the equipment objects in your IDF, using a text editor or the IDFeditor.

I usually, do the text editing first and then load the modified IDF in the IDFeditor to delete the unwanted section equipment section, and verify the names.

If you know how to use the MACRO format, you can use the conditional ##if, ##EndIf, etc to comment out the unwanted section and/or  save them in an include file for future use.

If you carefully separate the material, construction, and building surfaces, zone declaration, report variable, etc.  in   .INP  files.  You can combined them in the ,IMF file for simulation and re-generate the IDF file.

This was one of  the reason why I do not use the sketchUp to generate the geometry, so that I have full control of the names used.

Do the building yourself once with MACRO.  You can find that it will be very easy to modefy and add  later on.

Start with the purchased air, then replace it with the FurnaceHeatCool (air) with splitter, mixer and outside air.  Then replace with the water system, and fan coil units, with purchased water.  Then add plant section.

This is more or less the way you follow a Energy Plus tutorial course.

I found that most beginner starts with a building design, then try to add the equipment without checking whether the entry for the building is simple, direct and correct.  With the coordinates entered in the absolute value format, it is easy with a third party software.  However, the origins used, the naming format, etc. are not easily changed and manually verified.

The idfeditor does not tell you how many classes or objects to enter.  It only tell you what are the required fields.  Therefore you have to have a building plan, a block diagram with nodes, components, and zones in hand before you start.

Entering the Zone list, branch list, etc. first to let the editor know the names which you will be using.  You can then enter the class, and objects top down one by one.  As you proceed, more and more names will be in the drop down list.

Do use the diagnostic output, and debug facilities.

Do use the output to verify that the schedules has calculated the correct number for people, electricity, etc. at the right time of the day.

Run the design day simulation first.  Before the DesignDay simulation has given you some reasonable numbers, it will be a waste of time to run the full weather simulation.

Verify the sizing values obtained with the DesignDay simulation.

Use autosize and autocalculate with care, and watch the range used in the simulation.  I usually mark these values into the design block diagram manually.

User in the near  tropical climatic zone should use the heat pump like operation (Quick heat/cool change over)  and economizer mode, rather than the Winter and Summer seasonal modes.

To get some real weather pattern, you can select a few days out of the weather file, with the desired rain, wind and cloud condition, and then simulate  using the run peiod control selecting those days.

I am trying to use the DesignDay profile to match a one day real weather pattern and it is not very successful yet, because the rain, and cloud cover control is for the whole day, and not by the hourly period.  The profile is for the outdoor temperature only.  If the rain indicator and the sky clearness can be entered with an hourly schedule, the result will be very close to the real time measurement.

 Dr. Li