[EnergyPlus_Support] regarding the hvac system selection in base case

hi

I have  a doubt in the ashrae , for selecting a HVAC system for the base case should we have to consider the Conditioned area of the building or the un conditioned area of the building , in ashrae 90.1 2004 user manual in page number G23 it is given as for a non residential are the total area and no of floors should be considered , in the ashrae standard 90.1 2004 in page number 170 under the heading G3.1.1 Baseline HVAC System Type and Description it is given as the HVAC system should be based on the no of floors and the conditined floor , which one is correct and which one to choose, if any body has some suggestions or some datas means  send me ,

Thanks Regards
--
vigneshkumar