[EnergyPlus_Support] Shell vs. Internal loads for heating/cooling

E+ support list,

I’m looking for some input on reporting some variables. I’m simulating a large office building (based on the DOE Benchmark files), and I’d like to look at the portion of heating and cooling loads that are coming from internal gains sources vs. shell contributions. Ideally I’d like to have a version of this on the whole building level to quickly evaluate the potential impact and proper modeling of shell upgrades.

So far, I’ve identified the Overall HVAC Air Systems Loads report as a monthly/annual sum of heating and cooling loads on each system. Additionally, I can see the monthly/annual space gains by type (lights, infiltration, window…), reported by zone. However, I haven’t been able to figure out a way to see the internal gains split to be reported while the zone is being heated or cooled. Also, I haven’t been able to identify if there is a report available that sums each of these above variables to facility level (rather than air system or zone level).

The only way I’ve been able to think of is to pull hourly reports for the loads in each zone, the cooling/heating energy for that zone (as a flag for whether the system is heating or cooling), and perform the bundling by hand. Alternately, I can run the building with no internal loads (people/equipment/lights) and compare the Air Systems Loads reports, although this doesn’t break results out by shell component. Does anyone have a suggestion of a better method, or know of a specific variable to request in the simulation? Thanks in advance,

NEAL HUMPHREY

ICF International | BUILDING ENERGY ANALYTICS

1655 Fort Myer Drive, Suite 600

Arlington, VA 22209

Phone: 703.373.6635

www.icfi.com/buildings