Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] electricity of HVAC in joules as an output

It means that the ideal loads air system is working. This is the amount
of energy required to condition your building (or the amount of
electricity IF the air conditioning system had a COP of 1). I could also
say this is the "load" on your building. But this is not really the
electricity that would be used if the ideal loads air system were
changed to an HVAC system, because a real HVAC system would typically
have a COP that is not equal to 1. The amount of electricity used
depends on the "efficiency" of the HVAC system. The sensible cooling
energy you see is the air-side energy required to cool the building, but
I believe what you are interested in is the amount of electricity
required to "create" that sensible cooling energy. Real buildings do not
have ideal air conditioning systems, they have HVAC systems. The ideal
loads air system is used to tell you what the "loads" are on the
building (or what the HVAC system must deliver to the building), not how
much electricity is used. Once you know the loads, you can choose an
HVAC system, only then will you know the amount of electricity used. See
the HVACTemplate objects if you want to add a real HVAC system. Also
look at the example files for guidance (HVACTemplate*.idf).

--
Richard A. Raustad
Senior Research Engineer

UCF - From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years