RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] creating file

Hi, Martin

You have to say what you want to do with the simulation, before some one can help you.

What is the building type, size you want to simulate, in what location? If you have a building plan already, show the building plan?  Houses are built with different construction material for exterior and interior finishing.

If you do not have any of these, then open any of the example file and have a look.  The benchmark buildings, schools, hospital, shopping mall, etc. are available for many different States.
===========================

Your question is like "I want to write a book, please help."

=================================

There are several suggestions already appeared in the group mail.

1)EP-Quick (to generate files for EnergyPlus): from Adrian Crisan (studio.a.international@xxxxxxxxx)

2)JEPlus ? A Java shell of EnergyPlus for parametric runs

3)My personal preference is the file generator for getting started with a basic model. (from Jackson, Alan (ajackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  )

1) Does not work without a building information input.

2) Is for advanced users.

3) Is the best advice to follow by most.

When you have completed the EPlus tutorial, you already have several working IDF files for Chicago.

Change the location and weather file to where you are.  Then look at the materials and constructions, whether  they are suitable.  Turn on more Output report variables to learn how to verify schedules, and debug the errors and warnings, using the same files you have already running.

You can learn a lot by making small changes and deliberate errors, such as a misplaced comma and semicolon.  Look at the audit files and other debugging files for more information, even when a file is working, so that you know what is in these files.

If you have problem making the changes, then post the file and tell us what you were doing and we may be able to help.

People who send me the IDF file usually get some detailed response from me, if the problem is within my capability to solve.

I do not want to be involved with fitting commercial equipment data to the IDF.  The research in energy saving do not need to be tied to a particular Manufacturer.

If you are only interested in generating a 10 min 'green' building grading report, EPlus is not the software for you.  You will not be able to generate a "four to six green star grading" report of a building  in 10 minutes.

 Dr. Li