[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Zone Simulation

Designbuilder does make things easy in this respect. But, if you're stuck with an IDF you need to:

In a nutshell:
- Delete all the objects exclusive to the zone including the zone itself.
- Edit the references to the deleted zones in other objects.

This could involve the following:
- Delete child surfaces (BuildingSurface:Detailed) of the deleted zones and Fenestration surfaces that are children of these surfaces.
- Edit the "Surface" or "Zone" boundary condition of surfaces adjacent to the deleted zone to "Adiabatic"
- Delete zone internal gains
- "Simple" Zone ventilation - delete
- Natural ventilation objects - delete
- Delete zone HVAC objects (if you're working with HVAC Templates rather than an expanded IDF this will be easier.) These should consist of Thermostats and ZoneHVAC.

Hint, if your IDF has a good naming structure that allows to keep track of child/ parent relationships between objects (e.g. surface/ zone respectively or fenestrationSurface/ BuildingSurface respectively) this helps. Take a little time to understand the parent/ child links going on in the file. Work it out on paper. It may be better to start with removal of child objects because they are more numerous leaving the zone till last.

If you're working with expanded IDF's there will a plethora of extra HVAC objects. (e.g. Fans, coils, airloops, controllers). Again, delete the objects exclusive to the zone and edit objects that contain references to the zone. In this case branches, zone splitter/ mixer objects and maybe nodelists will have references to the dead zone(s). Delete references to the Zone in these objects but not the object itself.

This is very rough and correct me somebody if I'm wrong!

The .err file when you run E+ is quite verbose and gives you a lot of clues as to what's going wrong.