RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Modelling external screens

It is a bit of an advanced feature, but your relationship between solar position and transmission could be programmed in EMS and used to customize the transmittance schedule of external shade surface.  The example file called EMSCustomSchedule.idf shows the basics of overriding a schedule.  You could use Solar Azimuth Angle and Solar Altitude Angle report variables as EMS sensors in your algorithm.

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Harris Poirazis
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:53 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Modelling external screens

Hi all,

I am currently modelling a complicated in terms of geometry building in which angular dependant shading (externally placed screen) is applied (also with rather complicated geometry). The initial approaches of simplifying the process were not satisfactory since (a) applying a non angular dependant screen would reduce the accuracy of our results, (b) introducing shading such as external blinds would not sufficiently capture the geometry of our screens and (c) modeling the screens as punched components blocks would restrictively increase the modeling and simulation time.

Therefore, we have managed to find a relationship between sun position and solar transmission of these screens and I was wondering if there is a possibility that we could somehow insert this to to EnergyPlus. That could potentially solve our problems. I suppose the other solution would be to apply a transmittance schedule for external shading (or component blocks) that represent the screen of the façade.

Does anyone has any opinion on this topic?

Thanks a lot,

Harris