[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Complicate Zone Geometry modeling

Kostas,

My two cents' worth...

Your approach sounds reasonable.  You can effectively convert the 6 zones into 1 if you increase the interzonal airflow to some high value like 100 ach.  That way, they will all be at about the same temperature.  If the larger cube has exterior glazing, you'll have to consider the distribution of solar radiation on interior surfaces.  Like you said, the best way is probably to use windows to model voids.  I'd use the simple glazing system since you don't want to explicitly define the optical properties of the windows anyway.  Note that even if the U-value of the glazing is high, you'll still have resistance from the boundary between the surface and air, so you'll need airflow to equalize air node temperatures among the 6 zones.

My gut tells me that the image in the link below will be the most accurate geometry using your proposed approach.  It will minimize the effects of shading from the "imaginary walls/windows".

http://fleischfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/2-wireframehypercubeprojectededit1.jpg

Liam O'Brien