RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Surface properties:reflectance/absorptance

LBNL spreadsheet should use the word emissivity, not emittance.  Technically emittance is related to the energy emission from the whole body (volumetric), while emissivity is related to surface emission of energy.  In this case, we are clearly talking about surface emission.  Otherwise, there is no other difference between the two.  They are both in far IR (FIR) portion of the spectrum.

It is also important to remember that formula 1 = absorptance + reflectance + transmittance applies to single wavelength only, but it is commonly applied to average of the portion of the spectrum, so in the solar portion of the spectrum (UV+VIS+NIR) this is considered as acceptable, and for opaque surfaces absorptance = 1 – reflectance.  In FIR, same formula stands, however we are not interested in absorptance in FIR, but emissivity, however emissivity is equal to absorptance (or better yet absorptivity).  Emissivity is commonly measured using portable emissometers, which gives emissivity directly as a result of measurement or FIR spectrophotometers, where transmittance and reflectance are measured and emissivity is calculated from emissivity = 1 – reflectance.

Charlie

D. Charlie Curcija
DesignBuilder Software
16 Bridge St.
Millers Falls, MA 01349

Tel: (413) 256-4647
Fax: (413) 256-4823
cell: (413) 575-3487
email:
curcija@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web:
http://www.designbuildersoftware.com

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY
The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify DesignBuilder Software immediately at either +1 (413) 256-4647 or at
home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.