[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: import an idf file to designbuilder

The main issue is the way that different systems describe 3d objects. IDF describes polygons explicitly in 3d space, whereas designbuilder is more "parametric".

For example, a partition might be described as a string of 2d points within a building block. The software then looks at the shape of the block and renders the partition (visually) in 3 dimensions. Or, when it comes to export it will create the idf objects in 3d space. Each section of partition will relate to two surfaces in the idf file (one for each zone that bounds the partition). This is just a guess to db's inner workings but it makes sense as an economical way to manage geometry. Whilst it may be easy for Db to generate these 3d surfaces, consolidating them back into fewer objects would be pretty tough mathematically.

True interoperability of various cad systems is a long, long, long, ....., long way off. Autodesk now owns GBS (GBXML) and they have a history of not maintaining software acquisitions (unless they're called revit) and trying to download a spec for IFC is a pain (trying to navigate the IAI site is like the magic round-a-bout).

Too many secrets!!! Robert Redford - Sneakers