Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] version 6: green roof updates

A good question.  It came in very late in the release cycle.  And here is what the developer gave me:

Old Moisture Model

The old moisture model was based on a constant diffusion of moisture through the soil.  This model started with the soil in two layers.  Every time the soil properties update is called, it will look at the two soils moisture layers and asses which layer has more moisture in it.  It then takes moisture from the higher moisture layer and redistributes it to the lower moisture layer at a constant rate.

Moisture Model Update

The new moisture transport model is based on a project which looked at the way moisture transports through soil.  It uses a finite difference method to divide the soil into layers (nodes). It redistributes the soil moisture according the model described in:

Marcel G Schaap and Martinus Th. van Genuchten, 2006, 'A modified Maulem-van Genuchten Formulation for Improved Description of the Hydraulic Conductivity Near Saturation?, Vadose Zone Journal 5 (1), p 27-34.

I neglected to get anything into the documentation.  However, due to increased run times with the new model, I allowed the old model to remain as an option.

(The above was basically all I was given for documentation.)

Sorry for the confusion.