Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: tallying number of uncomfortable hours due to being too hot?

Design days are used for estimated the loads for heating and cooling equipment (summer for cooling; winter for heating).  They are based on 'design' conditions such as those available from the ASHRAE Fundamentals.  For cooling conditions, it will be a percent of hours that you could expect that the temperature will be higher (0.4%, 1%, 2% -- or 35, 88 or 175 hours annually respectively).  There is some discussion of the types of design days in the Auxiliary Programs documentation (see pg 49 of the PDF, pg 34 on the page).  Also see the ASHRAE Fundamentals, Chapter 14.

The .DDY file that acccompanies the weather files (.EPW) contain available design days for that location.