RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Extreme Weather Conditions

It depends on the purpose of your simulation.

There is no purpose to model am extreme hot year or an extreme cold year for energy usage comparison of a building, when applying for building energy usage certification, as it was not required.

That is the reason for the use of the Typical Meteorological Year (TMY) which is based on more than 30 years of data, with extreme conditions removed.  IWEC is specially compiled for certification purposes.

For HongKong, the .ddy file of the weather file group has the extreme day data which can be copied and used directly into the .IDF for DesignDay sizing simulation.

If you have other extreme temperature data, you may change the values in the DesignDay data.
For exemple, the current maximum for Summer is about 33.2°C, and you can change that to a higher value for simulation.  (One day with different solar conditions.)

You can also change the shape (profile) of the hourly  outside air temperature used for simulation using a schedule in the DesignDay object.

If you have extreme weather condition available, you can customize the weather file using the Preprocess  weatherfile  program  you already have with the EPlus download.

Hongkong is a good place to consider removing all the cooling equipment for the buildings and use good ventilation and shadings.

 Dr. Li