Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] stud wall construction

Hi,

the previous comments re NZS 4214, ASHRAE and others are correct. I have attached a paper I presented in 2009. I have been working in software validation for the past 6 years and acknowledging the framing factor has been an important part of the process. Especially when timber framing ranges from 9% to 40% and HER softwares do (various input values) or do not include this consideration. But on a less detailed level, the modification of infiltration values and framing factors to building models only affects the peaks and troughs of most simulations. In a temperate climate this does not appear to be too much of an issue but in Hot or Cool climates it is a big issue as it significantly affects theCooling & Heating loads of the buildings.

mark dewsbury

From: Maciej Cichy <mcarchbud@xxxxx>
To: EnergyPlus_Support <EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, 14 February, 2011 9:45:00 AM
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] stud wall construction

Re Composite Layers Representation

Another source of information how to approximate homogeneous layers properties is PLEA notes 2 Thermal Insulation by András Zöld and Steven V. Szokolay.

For example, for stud wall with thermal insulation; studs width x spaced at y. Homogenous layer conductivity [W/m*K] = (x/y)*studs conductivity + ((y-x)/y)*insulation conductivity.

Other example: insulation with steel pins layer conductivity =pins area/considered area * steel conductivity + ((considered area - pins area)/ considered area)* insulation conductivity.

The method from PLEA notes 2 is also used in New Zealand standard NZS 4214:2006, however the standard specifically states that the method is not intended for computer modeling.

I used this method anyway for timber framed wall with insulation and cavity. I divided the composite part into two layers: framing + insulation and framing + cavity and calculated the properties of the two homogenous layers according to PLEA notes. Iâ??ve used to properties as EnergyPlus input.

To check the approximation, I modeled the wall in Therm software and computed the whole wall U value (using boundary conditions, surface resistance according to local standards). I compared the Therm calculated whole wall U value to U wall value calculated by EnergyPlus for my building model. The difference was around 1%.

The Therm software that uses a finite element method and calculates 2 dimensional heat transfer is available at  http://windows.lbl.gov/software/therm/therm.html .

Comments and criticism of the procedure outlined above are welcomed.

Maciej

Dnia 13-02-2011 o godz. 3:49 Bereket Nigusse napisaÅ?(a):

For one dimensional approximation I recommend a paper by Karambakkam et al, at the following link.

Karambakkam, B.K., B. Nigusse, and J.D. Spitler. 2005. A One-dimensional Approximation for Transient Multi-dimensional Conduction Heat Transfer in Building Envelopes. Nordic Building Physics.

For stud walls, the procedure is as good as the accuracy of the U or R value of the composite or stud wall.  To capture the peak conduction gain lag it is recommended to estimate the average value of the composite layer density and specific heat.

The composite layer properties calculation can easily be implemented as a spreadsheet application.

Bereket