From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of dvwilkhjflksadhflk
Sent: Tue 29/03/2011 01:49
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Parametric run threading

yeah, the GenOpt code is somekind of dense... but in case you want to run it on windows the .bat file that comes with GenOpt can save you some time.

multiple energy plus simulations can be executed at the same time in the mac version ( I assume that also applies to the unix version). Just make sure that you copy your batch.idf file for each thread that you start in a unique folder to avoid that different threads access the same simulation, or overwrite any files from another simulation. (the great risk of multi threading). You will be responsible in your java code to make sure that not more simulations are started than cores available. In the pseudocode I gave you previously (and in my code) I implemented it the greedy way. There are several thread pools for java available, that might be more appropriate to run it on a cluster than my home made suggestion :-).

You might wanna do a test on your cluster, if you gain anything from starting more threads than cores.

This is the java function how I start a simulation if energy plus is installed on the system locally.

private void startSimulation_mac(String uniqueFolder){

Process proc;

String cmd[]=new String[3];

cmd[0] = "runenergyplus";
cmd[1] = "resources/temp/"+uniqueFolder+"/batch.idf";
cmd[2] = sim.getWeatherFile();

try{

System.out.println("simulation started");

Runtime rt = Runtime.getRuntime();
proc = rt.exec(cmd);

BufferedReader std = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(proc.getInputStream()));

String s=null;

while ((s=std.readLine())!=null){
System.out.println(s); // prints out what you usually see in the command line.
}

try {
proc.waitFor();
} catch (Exception e){
System.err.println("problem with process");
error = true;
}

} catch(IOException e){
System.out.println(e);
error = true;
}

}

have fun, and don't get a thread "knot"...

Sebastian