Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Solar distribution in a double skin facade against simple skin results

Hi Aymeric

SHGC is the amount of solar radiation that enters a room both directly transmitted through the facade and the fraction of radiation that its absorbed by the facade and then transmitted into the room by both convection and radiation heat transfer. In the pressence of a DSF, there is a certain amount of heat transfer occurring inside the cavity (heat removed by the air flow). This amount is not stationary, because it depends on wind incidence, wind velocity, temperature difference between cavity air and outside air, and surface temperature of the panes. Because of this un-steady state heat flow, its not possible to establish a convectional SHGC value for a DSF. Also, in reality, the heat flow also varies with the height of cavity (temperature inside the cavity increases with height) and so will heat transfer through the inside pane. So it basically means we would get a difference SHGC value in function of height, which complicates even more a definition of a single SHGC value for a facade.

Pedro