Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Definition of double skin facade

Hello Nik

The problem are the surfaces you're trying to set up the NaturallyVentedCavity object with. BuildingSurface:Detailed CE50C7 must have a "OtherSideConditionsModel" choice on the Outside Boundary Conditions entry. The other surface, 52EB2D, is defined as a Shading:Building:Detailed, and it should be as the first surface, under BuildingSurface:Detailed, also with OtherSideConditionsModel as the choice for Outside Boundary Conditions (there are the two error messages that i had, after the missing RunPeriod object).

Side notes: you say you want to define a full glazed facade, but yet you have defined, atm, only opaque surfaces, walls. So the main thing you're missing are the window's on the surfaces. These are defined under the FenestrationSurface:Detailed object, which in turn references your window constructions and the BuildingSurface:Detailed that will contain it (in other words, the wall where the window will be). Unlike you mention on your message, you do not have a shading device in place (you are probabling confusing BuildingShading:surface with a shading device of a window, they are not the same). To define a window shading device, you must use the WindowMaterial:Shade/Blind/Screen (one of the three) and WindowProperty:ShadingControl. Finally, if you are trying to set up a glazed facade, unfortunatelly you will not be able to use the NaturallyVentedCavity object to do so, because it only works for opaque surfaces. The procedure is to define your internal cavity of the facade as an independent zone, and set up openings for ventilation using Airflow Network objects. Since you are new to Eplus, my advice is to get familiar with Eplus basics (there are tutorials all around, and get OpenStudio pluggin for sketchup to ease the learning curve), then learn how to setup the Airflow Network objects. Also, check the following example files: all which name have AirflowNetwork at the beggining and PurchAirDoubleFacadeDaylighting.idf.

Good luck   :)

Pedro.