To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: andreacostaenergyplus@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 18:18:16 +0000
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] AHU thermal capacitance? Work around?

Dear All,

I have a night set back heating temperature (15 C) in my one zone building.
I am trying to model the optimal time to change the set point temperature to the occupied time value (30 C) in order to reach the right temperature in the morning when the first building occupant arrives.

However I find this problematic.

The problem is that as soon as I put the set point to 30 C the AHU heating coil starts IMMEDIATELY to supply air at 45 C (maximum supply air temperature to meet the zone heating requirement - SetpointManager:SingleZone:Heating) with no time lag.

The model doesn't take into account the lag due to the time that the heating coil takes to heat up the air in the real word.

I know that for the plant loop it is possible to "play" with the "Plant Loop Volume" parameter in order to consider the system capacitance and impose this time lag to water temperature, I would like to do the same with air temperature in the AHU.

Can anybody suggest any work around for this?

Many thanks in advance!

Andrea