RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Problem with removing reheat coils in VAV

I think you are not isolating the problems and focus on what you need.

My comments are in Red below.

 Dr. Li

To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: n_junk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 17:21:36 -0700
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Problem with removing reheat coils in VAV

Hi,

With the things that you said in mind, I tried some solutions and I solved a part of the problem, removing the autosize for the Heating Design Air Flow Rate and inserting a constant value. The problem  was caused by the high value of internal lighting.  The building does not require heating in Winter.  Hence the VAV template does not work well with the reheat and the OA adjustment by economizer.  If your real building do not have the similar situation, this need not be investigate further.

When I changed the dampling minimum to 0.2 in space5, the zone5 damper moved to below 0.3, while all the other demper which was set to 0.3 remained at 0.3.  This means that space5 is controlling the system.  As the thermostat is now in cooling mode, 24°C is the controlled value.  All the other zones simply left the damper at the minimum condition.  The solution may be to used another minimum control mode for the damper, so that the damper can be closed down further.

That forced the heating of the zones. Of course there are still some strange values but I know that it just needs some tweaking.  Tweaking on the current IDF may not be what you need for your final design, which may have a different charcteristic, and the problem may not arise..

The problem now is that I don't want a heating coil of gas, like the current one that is on the system, I need to simulate a heating coil of (hot) water, and when I change the heating coil from gas to water the zones' heating rolls back to where they were, malfunctioning again. I then installed an extra electric heating coil after the water heating coil and then the heating worked with no problems. I think that with this I prove that the problem is coming from the water or plant loop. Gas heater and water coil heater do not have the same characteristic.  Therefore, you are back to have more problems.

But I don't know what is specifically going wrong. If you analyze the results spreadsheet you will see that the water enters the heating coil and leaves it without changing its temperature. It's like the heating coil is not functioning at all. Because the building is not in the heating mode, due to high internal load.  Therefore, the heating coil is not used.  The cooling is on in Winter, when I looked at the spread sheed using the template  IDF I send you.(without reheat and economizer by entering non and noEconomizer in the zone and  system object..).

More strange than that is that the program is autosizing it anyway. I can't understand how something that doesn't work has a calculated heating capacity.
I am not sure.  May be the EPlus is also looking the building requirement without the internal load.

I will try to attach the new file. Note that it will go with the electric heating coil, with the schedule "always off". To activate it just change the schedule.
I have not looked at the new IDF yet.  For a system to work, you should not force the system off manually with a schedule.  That was the reason why I asked you to watch the damper position by turning off the peak lighting in the schedule at different times of the day for the WinterDesignDay.

Sorry in advance if any of the values are misleading or the names are not very simple or if they are badly defined. It's just very difficult to me to mantain all this variables in control with so much changes and I'm really tired from being days and nights trying to solve this.

My biggest questions are, at this moment, is there a way to change the priority of the heating coils?  Yes, in the zone equipment section.  But that will make no difference, if you are heating in Winter.  And second, what I'm doing wrong in the boiler, hot water loop or heating coil? Remember that I'm a rookie in EPlus, so check first for a basic error or common mistake.  Do not try to modify the expIDF.  Fill in the details correctly in the template or find another tamplate to use. or use District heating for the boiler in the plant.  I am not sure whether the district heating can be connected directly to the water heating coil.  If your final design has a fan coil in the zone, the configuration will be all different.

That was the reason why I ask you whether your 5 AHU is for a 5 zone building or a 5 storey building with many zones per AHU.

Once again many thanks to you. Without your help in this last days I couldn't go any further!