RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Problem with removing reheat coils in VAV

I still do not know what you wanted to used in the final design.

You were asking about the ratio between the water system and the electrical system.
They cannot be compared this way uing simple ratio.

The electrical heater can be turned on and off any time.  The DX coil can be turned on and off by turning on and off  the compressor pump, just like a refrigerator.

If you have a water system, you can turn on and off the fire to the boiler, but temperature will not come up instantly.  If you have long supply pipes, the pipes need to be warmed up as well.   This is also the reason why the DX split unit cannot be too far apart.

I mentioned using a working example model and not a template model because the templates are still too flexible.

5ZoneVAV-Pri-SecLoop.idf is a water system, with reheat in the zone. The reheat heater will only come on when the flow rate is at the minimum damper position.  Therefore, if you reduce the minimum damper postion to zero or very small, the reheat will not come one.  There is no need to remove the coil.

If you want VAV, a reheat heater is usually required.  If your real system do not have a variable speed fan, the VAV model is not the right one to use.

The boiler setpoint temperature at 50 - 80°C is the input to the heating coil.  If the water flow rage is small or zero, the coil temperature would be the air temperature.  In the air loop, you are setting the air temperature.  The water flow rated is adjusted to give you that temperature.  Therefore, it does not matter how hot you make the boilder temperature, so long it is hotter than the air temperature.

There are many set points in the IDF.  I do not know which heating design temperature you are referring to;  sizing for plant, system, zone or in the equipment.  You should not change them without knowing what thay are for.

This is why I suggested that you write them down on the schematic diagram of the system node points.  The number I have plotted is the output node of the fan, and is the setpoint you specify in the setpoint manager as the reference point after the expansion, I think.  I have not actually looked at the expIDF again.  If you use a scheduled setpoint values, the setpoint plot will not be a constant straight line.

If you change the values in the expIDF, and run the template IDF again, the values in the template IDF will be used.

 Dr. Li