RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] control sequnce

Hi, QiangMin

In the chiller operation, the tank is chilled to a set point temperature and stop.

You can use the night cooling to cool some water and store in the tank.  Because the temperature from night cooling is not very low and uncontrolled, it cannot be easily scheduled.

One can let it cool and shut off at 5 am, when the temperature is usually the lowest.

The normal chillar capacity is quite high.  When the cooling is used, the chiller is running.

With the storage tank case, the tank capacity is the cooling available.  The capacity is not enough to cool the one or two hour period during the hottest time of the day.

One of my student tried this was done in Malaysia, where the low temperature is in the 23-25°Crange.  You may have a lower night time temperature.  If the desired room temperature is 28°C, there are only 3°C of temperature difference.

In the simulation, there are two loops using he same tank.  The charging mode in the tight time.  The discharging mode when the water is needed.

There is a hotwater tank system also running in the similar way.  Heat it up and then used it some other time as domestic hot water.  The heater was a solar panel.
Two loops are required, the source side and the use side of the tank.

Source side can be the solar roof panel.  The use side would be a low temperature radiant panel, which is turned on when the room temperature is above 27°C.  The tank water temperature would rise when in use and the cooling effect is zero when the room temperature is around 29°C, while the natural temperature without the cooling would be around 31°C.  At that point, the outdoor temperature is actually falling, and you have to make sure that the panel continue to heat the room.
The conclusion was to make a large un insulated tank mouned in a wooden insulated cabinit.
In this way, the coolness can be turning on off fast.  The storage tank object has a insulation field to control the heat transfer rate.

Open the doors of the cabinet when cooling is needed.  As soon as the tank is hot, close the doors again, until it can be cooled again by night cooling.

Because the operating temperature is un-known, the charging has to be done on a time schedule with high temperature lock out.  The coldest night would then be the tank temperature.

 Dr. Li