[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Zones without HVAC return nodes

Hello Dr. Li,
Thanks for your detailed response to my question. I need to run some tests to check on how to apply what you suggest.

Yes, the house is in a cold region (southern highlands of Australia) although I have also seen houses in Northen California with the same gas furnace/no AC arrangement.
The system is as you described. There is an inlet and outlet on the furnace.
The return air flows from the rooms into the hall then into a collection vent and through a duct to the inlet of the furnace.

Modeling the hallway as a plenum in the HVAC system, as you suggested, does work.

My problem with using that approach is that I can't find out how to represent, correctly, a plenum in an AirflowNetwork.

The AFN node definitions only allow for a mixer to combine multiple air paths. If I use a mixer object in the AFN I get errors.

So far the only thing that works is to connect the outlet nodes of the zones to the air node in the hallway using ducts. This seems to be a kludge so I don't know whether to trust the results.

Thanks, Andrew.