[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: how the Slab program work

What is your objective of using the slab (or basement) preprocessors?

i ask this question because i believe that one of the objective of these utilities is to calculate the outside face temperatures of surfaces with outside boundary conditions of Ground, when the indoor is conditioned to a certain setpoint temperature. When these outside face temperatures, so calculated by the 'slab' are then used in the Site:GroundTemperature:BuildingSurface object or the OtherSideCoefficient objects (used when the ground temperatures at the core and perimeter of the slab are different) then the energy required to condition the indoors would be more accurately determined by simulation.

Having noted the above, i think we must also note that the 'natural' ground temperatures derived from the weather file, is dependent on the thermal diffusivity of the soil, which depends on the soil type and humidity. Thermal diffusivity of water can be different from the thermal diffusivity of the soil and hence rain or no rain could influence the reality of the results.

Just sharing some observations
ooi