RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] HVACTemplate:Thermostat versus ZoneControl:Thermostat

There are several ways to enter EPlus objects into an IDF (Input Data File).

Most of the example file without the words 'template' in the file name use traditional entry method, or expanded from templates and cleaned up.

The templates are some form of macro which has been written for some standard models.  Not all the available EPlus models are included in them.

"HVACTemplate:Thermostat" is required for all entry using HVACtemplate.  It provide the zone name and temperature control requirement, and it is expanded in various forms including the necessary schedules.

When you enter the theremostat using IDFeditor, the "ZoneControl:Thermostat" is used to specify the thermostat control type and the setpoint schedules.  The "HVACTemplate:Thermostat" will generate this object, when the schedule names are given.

You have to  try this out to see the template expansion process.  Not all names are acceptable to the template expansion process.  The correct names are in the I?O manual, or suggested in the IDFeditor..

There are four thermostat control types. Five, if zero is included, but zero  is not in your limit schedule declaration.  Type 4, Dual setpoint with dead band is the one to use, if the weather is not seaaonal with defined Winter and Summer periods.

In general, you should not mix the HVACTemplate with the other HVAC objects in the first IDF..  Do not try to change the expIDF directly, unless you know that the change cannot be made in the templates, and IDF will not use the same template again.
HVACTemplate:Zone:Unitary   is for equipment in the zone. It can be a damper or a fan coil.

HVACTemplate:System:Unitary  is for equipment feeding the zone.  It is an AHU or air loop.

The name unitary may mean different equipment.

VAV includes non-VAV.  This has caused many user problems, because the non-VAV template cannot be found.  What option in the VAV template would generate non-VAV objects.
When you simulate a one zone model with an AHU, the templates may not provide a full expansion, and then you will not learn on how to add zones later on.

This is one reason why all the examples are for 3 or 5 zones.  5 zone model is accually a large room divided into five sections to study building solar heating variation at different time.

 Dr. Li