To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 18:12:22 +0000
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Easy question - Very thick massive external floor

Comming back to the composite wall concept. One could quite easily create a composite equivalent consisting of 3 layers, with an equivalent heat tranfer resistance and thermal capacitance, but I don't think it's the many layers that result in problems, I think it is the high thermal capacitance of a construction that thick.

If I'm right then the only way to battle the problem is to slice the construction at some point (say midway) and apply a constant (or varying) temperature at this point using the otherside coefficients. That would be difficalt to calculate. I could use the internal source object (since I have it anyway) to report the surface temperature at a given layer over the year. From this I could get a average temperature (or variable) and calculate what otherside coeff would be needed to achieve this. I would then cap off the contruction at this layer and apply the otherside coeff here.

What do you think?