From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of YuanLu Li [yli006@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2011 2:15 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support
Subject: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] heating and cooling deadband (4 setpoints)

1ZoneEvapCooler.idf is one of the example files in the Ver.7.0 release that uses the availability manager to switch in and out the moisture pad, between 27°C and 22°C.  You may have a look at that example.

The other example I can think of is the solar collector panel which was also controlled that way to charge the storage tank.  The charging hot water would not flow until the temperature has reached a minimum value set using the manager, to turn on a water circulating pump.  The pump is also controlled by a setpoint manager for the tank.

Type 1 and type 2 thermostat has a set back temperature.  I think it is 0.2°C.  This number may be adjustable.  You need to ask the EPlus Help Desk for a definite answer.  I do not have the EPlus source code to find the exact way of control operation.

The dual band thermostat control do nt seems to have a set back value, because the heat balance is calculated by moving the zone air mass in and out at different temperature.  The mean zone air temperature remain constant most of the time. The capacity of the Dx coil is controlled by on/off of the compressor.

 Dr. Li

 P.S.  I am surprised to see Centre for Sustainable Energy Technologies (CSET),  The University of Nottingham Ningbo,  in Nigpo.  Is it a branch of the University of Norttingham in UK?  I was born in Ningpo.  My BSc[EE], 1958, was from Imperial College, London, England.

I think for building comfort, sustainable energy usage should also be limited.  Ningpo does not need cooling much in Summer, and the Winter is relatively mild.  Good building insulation and a little of heating is all you need.  Of course, the high rise buildings are not designed for low energy usage and they are growing very fast in Ningpo.