RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Running E+ on the "cloud"

Hi, Jim

I do not think that the current "clouding computing" concept provides processing power.

The server has only the ability to process and organize the data received and kept the ID and user information for future retrieval..

To get maximum through put, the processer and the storage must be together on a parallel bus structure. (CPU and memory on the same chip.)

Unless you can move a fast high performance CPU into the "cloud server" and be assigned to you to run the simulaton, having a large server would not help.

To use distributed processing, a special program is required to distribute the tasks to the linked Processing units.  You can try this "background processing" in your own organization, through the private LAN.
Thirty years ago, (1980's) Northern Telecoms developed a multi-prociesor system called the PTE.  The basic cabinet has 32 CPU board modules using Motorola 68000 chip with multiple 4 MB RAM board on a common parallel bus.  Up to 16 such cabinets can be linked together.  A special parallel programing language was developed to control the system.  I worked on the voice mail and voice recognition sub-system for the telephone services.  Packet data (internet) , compressed TV (Digital TV) and directory services  are some of the other units.

There were no buyers.  Only the voice mail section was later marketed as an add-on to any PABX systems.

Hotmail is now  part of a cloud, I think.  I noticed that the performance is getting slower, as more people are now using it.

 Dr. Li