Σχετ: [EnergyPlus_Support] Excessive Cool ing Load Using Ideal Load Air System

Dear Dr Li,
Thank you very much for you time and consideration, I 'll make sure to look thoroughly into your suggestions and observations. I am also sending you the IDF in case you are interested in getting a better view concerning the issue mentioned.

Î?Ï?ο: YuanLu Li <yli006@xxxxxxxxxxx>
ΠÏ?οÏ?: EnergyPlus_Support <energyplus_support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ΣÏ?άλθηκε: 11:46 μ.μ. Î?εÏ?Ï?έÏ?α, 16 Î?ανοÏ?αÏ?ίοÏ? 2012
Î?εμα: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Excessive Cooling Load Using Ideal Load Air System

You mentioned that

"The building is sufficiently insulated and has a large number of large openings to the south."

It is difficult to tell without looking at the IDF to see what these openings are, and how they are modelled..
The following are some of my observations and suggestions.

If these openings are windows, you can expect very high cooling load through them.  You can look at the window heat gain, etc. to separate the heating source in Summer and Winter.  Ceiling and roof insulation can also affect the  cooling load.

The Winter in Thessaloniki  is rather mild.  Therefore, the cooling load may appear higher as a ratio.  At 40 degree latitude, the windows facing North can also be receiving high solar radiation in Summer.  The South facing windows are reducing the Winter heating load.

To save simulation time, you only need to run the sizing simulation using the DesignDays, and list the heat transfer variables for the building.

Move the theremostat to 35°C in Summer and -3°C to turn off the HVAC.  Display the zone mean temperature, to see whether there are unusual temperature distrubution in the building.  For example, colder or hotter  third floor may suggest insufficient insulation for the cieling.    High ground floor temperature may suggest the use of too high building ground temperature.

Ventilation and infiltration can also change the temperature profile.

 Dr. Li