Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Energy Plus Phase change materials

Edwin,
Thanks for the advise. I am seeing surface temp changes, and the model is showing savings, my concern is that changing the temp/enthalpy sets does not change the value of the savings. If there was even so much as 1 kBtu difference in any of my experiments I would be satisfied in the concept that the model can be adjusted for different thermal proprieties of PCM's. That said I will create a summery of input data and output results and send it to you.
May I ask your experience in modeling PCM's in Energy Plus?

Also the project is to show the difference of bioPCM technology compared to parifn and salt based PCM's, so showing a difference is a must.

So far I have started with example file data, then compared to product test data with no change, altered the specific heat of the material the PCM is applied to, used the product temperature for thermal conductivity, and no change in results.

My latest ideas have been to change the global finite difference algorithm settings, or variable thermal conductivity but the engineering reference and input output guide do not give much info on this possible workaround..

I am thinking of changing from this IDF,HeatBalanceSettings:ConductionFiniteDifference,FullyImplicitFirstOrder,3.0,1.0,0.002;
IDF,HeatBalanceSettings:ConductionFiniteDifference,CrankNicholsonSecondOrder, 1, 1, .01;

As to widen the thermal spectrum, but am very unsure if this makes any sense..

Here is the best data I have
IDF,MaterialProperty:PhaseChange,DrpceilPCM ,0.2,-20,0.1,22,18260,22.1,32000,27,36174,27.5,62941,28,107338,28.5,157508,29.01,180796,29.51,194698,30,201585,31,202659,32,202521,35,202570,40,204475,44.64,208301,60,210000;

I will keep experimenting, summarise and send you the summery..

Thanks for your time